Shady Solutions

Many, many moons ago, we splurged at Joann’s for a kit to make our own Roman Shade for our lonely, little kitchen window. We were optimistic, and we loved the idea of the cute little shade to hang in the kitchen. Little did I know, I could not for the life of me cut a straight line, not if my life depended on it. So we jimmy-rigged it to hang properly, and straight, and we were so proud of our little Roman Shade that we had made all by ourselves! And then, one by one, our iron on seems came slowly apart and we felt so defeated in our efforts. We vowed to never use iron on seems again.

roman shade

Fast forward to over a year later, also known as, waiting for the trillionth snow storm this year to pass, we thought up another solution to our naked kitchen window problem- a simple valence. Genius. I swear, sometimes I should just go and join Mensa with all of these genius ideas. Totally kidding.

DSC_0548

So I dragged my dear, sweet husband off to Joann’s on Monday night to pick out some fabric and curtain backing- which worked out perfectly since a fresh batch of Joann’s coupons had arrived in the mail earlier that day- score! We wanted something with a small pattern, probably something geometric, and maybe with a splash of color but not so much that it took away from our awesome living room curtains on the other side of the room. And we also needed it to be washable, being above the kitchen sink, we never know what might happen there! I think we ended up with the perfect compromise.

DSC_0614

While the fabric we chose looks plain and simple from a distance you realize when you come in close, that it actually has a bit of a zig-zag herringbone pattern to it in white. White on white, I loved it! And it tied into the white curtains we already had in our dining room area. We purchased one yard of our fabric and backing and headed home to watch Sherlock.

The next afternoon as we awaited the latest snow storm I got to work. I knew this project would be very similar to the curtains I made for the office last year (see that post here) they were just going to be a lot smaller in size. It would basically be a large rectangle with a pocket at the top for the curved curtain rod that I had bought a few days before. There are absolutely more feminine versions of what we made but that wouldn’t fit the style of our updated kitchen, so we figured the more simple the valance, the better in our case.

DSC_0565

First thing I did was to measure the distance between the cabinets to get a rough estimate of how long I needed to cut my fabric. It was an even 3 feet across so I cut my fabric to 42 inches in width, to account for the 1/2 inch seems on each side and the curve of the curtain rod. I cut my liner to be the same size. I then proceeded to iron all of my seams, tucking the liner in as I went and pinning them in place to be sewn in place.

After all of my seams had been sewn, I took to top of my valence and folded it down about an inch or so to create the pocket for the curtain rod to slide through. Slip your curtain rod through the pocket and your valance is ready to be hung up on the wall!

DSC_0580

DSC_0587

After all the sewing had been completed, and all of dinner had been cleared away (that’s why these are so dark, sorry about that), we started to hang the curtain rod itself. I went through and marked off where the anchors would go for the valance- 2 inches in from the cabinets on either side if you were curious. Josh went through after me, making sure the sides were level by measuring the distance from the ceiling on both sides and screwing the wall anchors into place. Attach your curtain rod with valance to the wall anchors and step back to take a gander at your handiwork!

DSC_0594

PS- That is a new house across the street! We’re getting new neighbors ANY day now! We’re really delighted to have some new neighbors!

Personally, I love the subtle pattern in the fabric- I never would have thought that white-on-white would could be an option. And I really love that during the day the liner lets just enough light through to highlight that pattern, that sneaky little curtain!

Overall, this went on our list of cheap-cheap projects that we have completed so far, here’s where our money went:

  • Curved curtain rod from Meijer: $0.99
  • White patterned fabric from Joann’s, on sale: $4.99 yard for one yard
  • Curtain liner, 50% off coupon: $3.99 for one yard
  • Total (after tax): $9.79

Not many projects these days cost us less than $10, so this definitely made the penny-pincher in me quite happy! Now we can sit back and enjoy our new window covering and we officially have one less naked window in the house!

DSC_0611

DSC_0604

It sure did feel good to exercise the old sewing machine, so maybe we’ll take on our one last naked window in the house… I’m looking at you, Mr. Stairwell-window! But for now, we’ll take some time to enjoy this freshly fallen snow with Levi the Wonderdog and get some serious snow shoveling done!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Shady Solutions

    • It really does feel great to be back on the writing wagon! I’m glad that we are still finding things that we want to improve and accomplish in our home! Thanks for stopping in to say hi!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s